Athlete Spotlight - Devin Davis
1. How did you find out about Crossfit? My wife introduced it to me. She worked at a fitness company and asked around to find out what people thought was the best workout available. They all recommended Crossfit Cache Valley, so she paid for 1 month and gave that to me for Christmas. I have been attending CFCV ever since.
2. What is your favorite Crossfit exercise or WOD?
I don’t really have a favorite WOD, but what I really look forward to is being challenged to do something I have never done before. After my first few weeks Brad challenged me to start throwing the 20 lbs. wall ball, and the next WOD was Karen – 150 wall balls for time. That was nasty! But I did it and it felt great! I remember having the same experience with double unders and Flight Simulator, and learning to snatch and then seeing 75 x 75 lbs. snatches for time. My favorite is the feeling of accomplishment I get after physically and mentally conquering a new challenge.
3. How long have you been Crossfitting for?
2 and half years
4. What do you do for a living?
Self-employed, distribution business
5. What are your hobbies?
Crossfit, cycling, and golfing
6. What are your goals?
My goals are different than most people, since I am always trying to gain weight. There is a good reason why all my buddies call me Gandhi. I would like to gain 10 lbs by the end of the year, as well as increase my max bench press by 20 lbs. and deadlift by 30 lbs.
7. Why do you Crossfit?
I Crossfit because:
- It matches my personality: I love the physical and mental challenge, the required discipline and dedication, the variety of WODS, and that I can go through 20 minutes of grueling training and be done for the day.
- It matches my goals: I love the blend of olympic weight lifting and metabolic conditioning. It helps me build strength and improve my conditioning without having to do endurance training. But when I decide to participate in an endurance event, like a 100 mile bike ride or a half marathon, I can just walk out the door and do it.
- It is a fun / competitive environment: I enjoy the friendships I have built with other Crossfitters. They are great people who contribute to a positive, competitive environment. They encourage me, push me…frequently crush me in the WOD, and always celebrate with me when we are done.
- It makes me happier: my hot wife says I am way more happy on the days I do a WOD at CFCV. I think it is just her way of saying she likes to see my body glistening in the sun with sweat after an intense WOD.
- It has great coaches: Brad Thorne is the best fitness coach! I won’t go to any other Crossfit gym in town because they don’t have him. I believe he knows his stuff, is dedicated to continuous improvement, and is sincerely invested in helping me achieve my personal goals. The other trainers are great too. They are quick to point out my mistakes, helpful when I have a question, and excited when I succeed.
8. Any advice for future CrossFitters?